We welcome volunteers from all over the world! We cannot run our lion sanctuary without you…
You can currently volunteer with us for a minimum of two weeks.
There can be 8 volunteers at a time. For the volunteers we have very comfortable accommodation available in the Eagles Camp. This camp consists of two houses, with 3 bedrooms, a living room and 2 bathrooms with bath/shower. There are also two outside showers. The two houses share an outside kitchen where you will prepare your meals, with a boma and excellent views of the reserve. You can even hear the lions roar at night…
Should you wish even more luxury accommodation, you can stay at the main resort if there are rooms available.
Pickup/drop-off day from Johannesburg is always on a Wednesday. If you arrive any other day or if you arrive late on a Tuesday, we can arrange accommodation for you in Johannesburg. Please enquire here.
Your tasks at The Lions Foundation include:
- Prepare meat
- Help feed the lions
- Clean/inspect enclosures
- Prepare/place enrichment
- Observe behaviour and check health
- Maintain fences, roads and fire corridors on the estate
- Maintain and clean cold rooms and meat room
- Place, replace, inspect camera traps on the estate and watch and report on footage
- Attend or organize education afternoon
- Assist with building and installing of permanent enrichment structures
- Assist giving big cats medication when needed
For all these tasks you will receive detailed instructions from your volunteer coordinator and the lion keepers.
In return for your hard work and your financial contribution (which will go to your room and board and activities, the remainder to the care for the lions) you will receive:
- Endless joy and satisfaction in your activities
- Great experience in working with animals and in working in a team (looks good on your resume!)
- Growing responsibilities, the longer you stay with us
- New friendships
- A stunning tan
- Access to gym, sauna and spa of the main resort (booking required)
- Once a week a day off, with option to go to Bela Bela/warmbaths
- Once a week another day off, with option to do some animal spotting another nature reserve or big five reserve or sanctuary (ethically responsible)
- Once a week a game drive on the Schrikkloof reserve with our park ranger
- Once a week a braai (= South African BBQ)
- Once a week dinner at the lodge
- Once a week a sundowner
As both Hugo and Ambra were living on their own, Stichting Leeuw has been busy matching these two lions. After having lived in the same enclosure for a while, taking turns being inside and outside, they got to know each other well enough and reacted friendly enough to...
Recently Stichting Leeuw had the unique opportunity to realise its own lion sanctuary in South Africa. This subsidiary, which will have the internationally more workable name of The Lions Foundation, is located in the nature reserve Schrikkloof in Limpopo province....