— PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC OUR VOLUNTEER PROGRAMME IS ON HOLD! —
We welcome volunteers from all over the world! We cannot run our lion sanctuary without you…
You can currently volunteer with us for a minimum of two weeks.
There can be 8 volunteers at a time. For the volunteers we have very comfortable accommodation available in the Eagles Camp. This camp consists of two houses, with 3 bedrooms, a living room and 2 bathrooms with bath/shower. There are also two outside showers. The two houses share an outside kitchen, with a boma and excellent views of the reserve. You can even hear the lions roar at night…
Should you wish even more luxury accommodation, you can stay at the main resort if there are rooms available, at chalet room or lodge room cost.
If you like, we can pick you up/drop you off at Johannesburg airport at daytime. Should your plane arrive late or depart early, we can arrange paid accommodation for you in Johannesburg. Please email us after booking your flight to make an arrangement.
Your tasks at The Lions Foundation can include the following:
- Prepare meat
- Help feed the lions
- Clean/inspect enclosures
- Prepare/place enrichment
- Observe behaviour and check health
- Maintain fences, roads and fire corridors on the estate
- Maintain and clean cold rooms and meat room
- Place, replace, inspect camera traps on the estate and watch and report on footage
- Attend or organize education sessions
- Assist with building and installing of permanent enrichment structures
- Assist giving big cats medication when needed
- Assist with other maintenance tasks
For all these tasks you will receive detailed instructions from your volunteer coordinator and the lion keepers.
In return for your hard work and your financial contribution (which will go to your room and board and activities, the remainder to the care for the lions) you will receive:
- Endless joy and satisfaction in your activities
- Great experience in working with animals and in working in a team (looks good on your resume!)
- Growing responsibilities, the longer you stay with us
- New friendships
- A stunning tan
- Once a week a day off, with option to go to Bela Bela/warmbaths
- Once a week another day off, with option to do some animal spotting another nature reserve or big five reserve or sanctuary (ethically responsible)
- Once a week a game drive on the Schrikkloof reserve with our park ranger
- Once a week a braai (= South African BBQ)
- Once a week dinner at the lodge
- Once a week a sundowner
28 January 2021We’re very sad to announce that our beloved lioness Masrya passed away. Before the...
January 2021 We have opened the gates to the big roaming areas for most lions! They all started...
January 2021 We'd like to thank our vet, dr. Peter Caldwell, who came to The Lions Foundation...