Apply for volunteer work at The Lions Foundation
Reservations will only be confirmed when your application is approved, and a non-refundable 10% deposit is received.
As we work with potentially dangerous animals and the accommodation is built on a hill, we regret that we cannot approve applications from physically and/or mentally less-abled people.
You can currently volunteer with us for a minimum of two weeks and in principle a maximum of 6 weeks. We do value long-term commitment, so the longer you stay, the cheaper the rate. We cannot guarantee availability on the dates of your choice, but if your application is approved, we will do our best to accommodate you.
Rates for 2020:
The price of the volunteer programme includes:
- Transfers from and to Johannesburg airport (on Wednesdays)
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Tea, coffee and water
- Daily servicing
Not included in the price:
- Travel expenses (international and local flights)
- Transfers from and to Johannesburg airport (on other weekdays, can be arranged by The Lions Foundation at a cost of ZAR1000 one-way)
- Accommodation in Jo’burg (whether or not arranged by The Lions Foundation)
- Health, travel and cancellation insurance
- Visa (please check if you need one)
- Transport to, entry and accommodation costs should you visit another nature reserve during or after your stay
- Other drinks and alcoholic beverages
To apply, please mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferably in English) with the following info:
Country of residence
1. Are you traveling alone or as a couple/group?
2. Have you volunteered before? If yes, where and when?
3. Do you actively support a conservation organization?
4. Do you have any health issues which may affect you during your stay?
5. Do you have any dietary requirements?
6. Do you have any special skills or expertise which may be of help?
7. Around which date would you like to start volunteering?
8. How long would you like to stay?
9. Why do you want to do volunteer work, and specifically why at The Lions Foundation?
10. Additional message
Thank you! We’ll get back to as soon as possible.
As both Hugo and Ambra were living on their own, Stichting Leeuw has been busy matching these two lions. After having lived in the same enclosure for a while, taking turns being inside and outside, they got to know each other well enough and reacted friendly enough to...
Recently Stichting Leeuw had the unique opportunity to realise its own lion sanctuary in South Africa. This subsidiary, which will have the internationally more workable name of The Lions Foundation, is located in the nature reserve Schrikkloof in Limpopo province....